Monday 3 March 2014

Blashford Lakes NR - Mon 3 Mar

Slightly later than I was hoping but I did manage to get to Blashford Lakes this afternoon, arriving with a little under a hour before the car park were locked! I made straight for the Woodland Hide and amongst the gathering of feeding finches I located the long-staying Mealy Redpoll, so a result with my first target bird ticked off. Also from the hide I saw several Siskin and Lesser Redpoll amongst the more usual woodland birds. With time against me I then made a flying visit to Ivy Hide, but saw nothing different.
Back to the car and a short drive up the road followed by a walk out to Goosander Hide, where I saw five Goosander! I also saw a drake Red-crested Pochard amongst a small flock of Tufted Duck.
There were also several Pintail and half a dozen Goldeneye. Checking the time I realised I had to get a move on, so back to the car.
 
Ten minutes later and I was parked up at the end of Hurst Road and following the public footpath alongside Kingfisher Lake. What a nightmare, it's a private lake with very little in the way of viewing. I did see a Kingfisher and after a lot of searching I finally got the hatrick with regard to the birds I was after as I located the drake Ferruginous Duck.
After enjoying the bird for a few minutes I had to head off after a peasant few hours out.

No comments:

Post a Comment