Monday 24 March 2014

Sutton Bingham - Sun 23 Mar

The only birding I managed to get in this weekend was on patch and despite a fair amount of hard work checking out Sutton Bingham for migrants, etc. I failed to find much at all really, and adding insult to injury a 1st-winter Little Gull was on West Pool for at least an hour late Saturday afternoon (my mobile phone was playing up so I missed the call)!
Sunday morning prior to 9.00 produced just twenty or so Sand Martins over West Pool and were the only birds of note early in the day. A return visit later in the morning did produce some gulls, with 156 Herring Gulls present as well as five Lesser Black-backed Gulls. A Kingfisher put in a brief appearance and there were still some Sand Martins hanging around.
My final visit came much later in the day and I concentrated my efforts on the southern end of the reservoir. Again there was very little to see, though a total of seventeen Snipe were flushed from the water's edge, eight Teal were still present and further thirty Sand Martins were feeding. There were still only a handful of Chiffchaffs in, with just three heard singing. So it's been a very quiet March so far...let's see what the final week of the month can produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment