Thursday 13 March 2014

Sutton Bingham - Wed 12 Mar

This afternoon I decided against travelling too far and spent a couple of hours at Sutton Bingham instead, this was my first chance to visit the patch this month, and it turned out to be a pretty good visit.
From the northern causeway a pair of Tufted Duck were on West Pool and a Green Woodpecker could be heard "yaffling" from the trees near the railway line (though didn't actually show itself!). There was not much else on the reservoir so I headed down to the site where the hide was located and walked along the water's edge as far as the Canoe Club and then back again. A total of ten Snipe were flushed from the vegetation (though only five were seen together so there is a possibility that I flushed the same birds twice).
Scanning the fields on the opposite side of the reservoir I had a massive surprise when I located a Red-legged Partridge! I have this species on my patch life list but had only ever heard one bird, and that was years ago, so to actually see one was as good as a patch tick really. I even managed to get this hi-res image of it:
Popping back to the car I then carried on and took a walk around the southern end of the reservoir. There were still a few Teal around, with twenty-four birds being counted. A pair of Mandarin Ducks flew in from the south and appeared to land somewhere. It was reassuring to hear and then see a Marsh Tit, this species seems to just about be hanging on at Sutton Bingham. There followed another surprise as I spotted a Mink, a first for me here and not a welcome one!
Returning to the car three Great Spotted Woodpeckers were making heck of a din as they chased each other through the trees and a Raven passed overhead. Other new patch ticks for the year came in the form of a male Kestrel flying south and at least two Jays screaming at each other from the trees opposite "the hide".
So all in all a pretty good time at Sutton Bingham this afternoon, just waiting for the Spring migrants to start passing through now!
Sutton Bingham year list for 2014 now at 70 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment