Thursday 6 March 2014

Keyhaven NR - Thu 6 Mar

I spent a couple of hours this morning at Keyhaven, though made the mistake of paying two quid for the car park when if I'd driven a twenty metres up the road I there was loads of space to park for free! I was going to take the coast path but a sign stated the path was closed, so it was along the cycle path towards Lymington, with a very obliging Cetti's Warbler putting in an appearance.
There was not much else to see along the way, so I made straight for the flooded area at the back of Fishtail Lagoon where a Long-billed Dowitcher had been present, though it did not show during my visit! A flock of sixty-seven Golden Plover were a nice sight though, with a couple of birds starting to moult in to summer plumage.
After a brief chat with a dog-walker I found out the coastal path was in fact open, so I followed this back towards the car. This proved to be much more productive, with the tidal flats producing three Bar-tailed Godwits and a couple of Grey Plover amongst the more numerous Dunlin and Turnstone.
One of the lagoons I passed held a couple of Pale-bellied Brent Geese, well apart from the Dark-bellied Brent Geese that were out on the mudflats. A real surprise came in the form of a Dartford Warbler that showed really well as it sang from a gorse bush right next to the path, and rounded off a really nice trip out.

No comments:

Post a Comment