Thursday 2 January 2014

Arne RSPB & Cheselbourne - Thu 2 Jan

Arriving in time for a picnic lunch it was midday when I got to Arne RSPB. After a very heavy shower which forced me to delay my walk I set off out to Shipstal Point and back to the car park for a circular walk. This gave me the opportunity to connect with a few of the commoner woodland/garden species I had missed yesterday as well as connect with a slightly less usual species in the form of eight Spoonbills. The tide was high so the only waders seen were a few Curlew and Redshank. A female Goldeneye was in Poole Harbour alongside several Red-breasted Mergansers.
On returning to the car I checked the pager to find the two Common Cranes had been seen again near Cheselbourne, so I set off back towards home with a slight diversion! When I got to the field where the birds had been I again drew a blank, so I drove a circuit round to Dewlish. A flock of twelve Little Egrets were feeding in one cow field and just as I was about to give up hope when the two Common Cranes flew right over the top of the car! Result, and a good end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment