Sunday 5 January 2014

Sutton Bingham - Sat 4 Jan & Sun 5 Jan

More wet weather all weekend, a very brief visit on Saturday afternoon failed to produce the Yellow-browed Warbler but I did manage to add Kingfisher and Sparrowhawk to the patch year list and seven Wigeon were off the dam.
Sunday morning started dry-ish so I popped up to the reservoir late morning and within seconds of arriving the heaven's opened again. So I spent about forty-five minutes birding from the car. Four Canada Geese were on the grass by the Fishing Lodge and four Mute Swans, a juvenile and three adults, were also present. The Wigeon flock numbered some ten birds today and they were seen in flight today over the reservoir near the dam.
Despite the rain I did take a look around the car park. This proved to be fairly fruitless to start with and I was soon pretty wet. As I returned to the road I could hear Long-tailed Tits and Goldcrests and I soon located the flock. A total of three Chiffchaffs were seen, including the very buff individual which is almost certainly a Siberian Chiffchaff. At least one Treecreeper was also seen and then I was lucky enough to see the Yellow-browed Warbler again as it flew on to a branch in front of me for a while and then vanished again. I decided that was enough so called it a day as a flock of around fifty Redwing flew south in to the rain as I headed for home to dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment