Monday 13 January 2014

Sutton Bingham - Sun 12 Jan

A couple of hours on patch this morning and I concentrated my efforts on the southern end of the reservoir for the most of it. There were a good number of Teal present today, with at least seventy birds present and being typically skittish. At least a dozen Mallard were also present along with a pair of Mute Swans. There were very few passerines present but a flock of nineteen Lapwings passed over heading south.
I then popped up to the car park area and had a search for the Yellow-browed Warbler, no sign today but a Chiffchaff was seen. From the car park I noticed a drake Tufted Duck fly in to West Pool where it settled for the duration of my stay. A flock of thirty-two Wigeon flew south and another flock of Lapwing passed over, this time a total of fifty-seven birds. The final bit of action came in the form of a flock of twenty-four Snipe that took off from the vegetation around West Pool, I can only think they were spooked by the remote controlled boat enthusiasts who started "sailing"!
So a few more ticks on the SBR year list and a pleasant morning out, a complete contrast to a brief visit at dusk to check out the gull roost proved fruitless with only a very small number of Herring Gulls and an even smaller number of Black-headed Gulls and I got pretty wet in pouring rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment