Monday 13 January 2014

Meare Heath NR & Ham Wall RSPB - Sat 11 Jan

An afternoon out on the Somerset Levels and a quick look around the alders near the Ashcott Corner car park produced a female Siskin. I then walked out to Noah's Lake and scanned the water. There were loads of duck present and before long I had added Shoveler, Gadwall, Pochard and Pintail to the year list. Nothing unusual about though so I walked back to the car. As I neared the car park a Goldfinch flew over on the company of two Lesser Redpoll.
Off then on to Ham Wall and from the first viewing platform I saw a Great White Egret and both male and female Marsh Harriers. Several Water Rails were squealing away and a couple of Cetti's Warblers were also heard. A steady stream of Starlings heading west indicated the roost was well underway, so to avoid the masses and pending congestion I decided to call it a day and headed on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment