Thursday 28 July 2016

Sutton Bingham - Thu 28 Jul

I popped out before breakfast and made straight for the dam where a Redshank was heard and then seen as it flew over the reservoir and headed south. I then set about scanning the dam wall for anything other than wagtails and was surprised with what I found. A juvenile/female-type Black Redstart! That was certainly unexpected. I managed to get some wonderful views as it worked its way along the horse paddock and back towards the Fishing Lodge before it was lost to view. Unfortunately, it was far too mobile for me to be able to get any sort of record shot, but what a cracking bird and a patch tick!
Other bits seen this morning included three Common Sandpipers and two Mandarin. Overhead a Hobby passed by carrying a small bird which it was busy plucking whilst on the wing.
Sutton Bingham year list 2016 now at 102 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment