Thursday 8 March 2012

Catcott NR - Wed 7 Mar

A trip up on to the Somerset Levels this afternoon and I took Tristan to Catcott for a look around. We arrived at about 4.00pm and whilst the light was perfect it was really windy. As I neared the hide three birders left, telling me that there was still a Spoonbill present, though it was distant. So we entered the hdie and no sooner had I sat down then Tristan started kicking off, so as there was still another birder present I made my apologies and went back outside!
As it happened, it worked in our favour because the distant Spoonbill flew in closer and landed about twenty metres from us as we viewed it from behind the wicker screen, you can see the "bling" on its legs in the second photo, though I'm not sure where it was ringed. As it happens, it was also a Somerset tick for me.

As I scanned over the water three Dunlin flew past and then landed on the mud and began feeding alongside some of the many Wigeon. On the water there were good numbers of Pintail, Shoveler and Teal and a few Lapwings were present on the small banks.
A small raptor passed through heading west and it didn't take long to realise that it was a male Merlin, a nice bonus for the afternoon. From the car I also saw a pair of Stonechats and three Bullfinches flew in and landed in a tree nearby.
Before I knew it, it was nearly 5.30pm and I had promised Ellie that I would be home by 6.00pm, so off we rushed after a pretty good afternoon out.

Ringing Update
I reported the rings for this Spoonbill and had a reply back today (9 Mar 12) from Otto Overdijk in Holland. This bird was ringed as a nestling in 2007 in Schiermonnikoog, Holland. Since then it has ranged over a vast area and has been reported in Kent, Norfolk, Devon, Cheshire, Suffolk, back in Holland and now in Somerset! A very well-travelled bird indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment