Wednesday 14 March 2012

Kingston Maurward & Lodmoor RSPB - Wed 14 Mar

A three hour trip out with Tristan this afternoon saw us heading south and making a brief stop at Kingston Maurward, a mile or so east of Dorchester. After a bit of driving back and forth and a quick look online to get a grid reference I found the field I was looking for and on the far side the Cattle Egret that had been present for a few days. So with the twitch completed I took Tristan on down to Weymouth.
I had decided to take a walk around Lodmoor RSPB reserve as a few birds had been reported from the site over the last couple of days. I parked up and walked around the reserve. Pretty much the first bird I saw was a male Marsh Harrier (an unusually dark bird). Continuing my walk there was not really much else of note until I was over half way round and had reached the muddy area that is normally good for waders. Ten Black-tailed Godwits were present and a Ruff was an addition to the year list. Two Spoonbills were fast asleep (something Spoonbills seem to do a lot) in the middle of the reserve...just a week after seeing one on the Somerset Levels, another two today!
As I neared the car the Marsh Harrier did another fly past and dropped in to the reeds, presumably on some prey. As I watched the path of reeds a Bearded Tit flew up and across the reedbed before dropping out of site. I could also hear birds calling as I stood by the car, but could not locate them anywhere! To round the afternoon off a single Sand Martin flew over before banking and moving back over the reserve proper. Another lovely afternoon out with the boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment