Sunday 18 March 2012

Wyke Regis - Sun 18 Mar

As it was Mother's Day my present for Ellie was to give her a few hours for her to do what she wanted and I took Tristan out to ensure she wasn't disturbed. I had considered a visit to my folks, but having spoken to Mum earlier in the day I knew they would be out.
So instead I took Tristan down to the coast again and a visit to Wyke Regis to see if we would have more luck at the site then we did a month ago...and fortunately we did. I made straight for the small copse where the over-wintering Hume's Warbler had taken up residence. Despite spending about forty minutes searching for the bird, with half a dozen other birders, I only heard it calling from deep in the undergrowth, and knowing I could not spend all afternoon waiting for a fleeting glimpse I decided to try for other target bird, happy enough that I had at least heard the Hume's Warbler.
I walked back towards the Birdging Camp and got lucky with some smashing views of the long-staying Richard's Pipit, I had a go at some record shots with my phone, but it was rather too far away.
 
The size of the Richard's Pipit really stood out as it fed in the grass alongside a Meadow Pipit. Also in the same area as the pipits I saw three Wheatears and a Black Redstart. However, before I knew it our time was up and I had to get Tristan back home for his afternoon feed, but we had a successful afternoon out.
UK list for 2012 now at 153 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment