Saturday 24 March 2012

Meare Heath NR - Sat 24 Mar

I took Tristan up on to the Somerset Levels this afternoon as it was such lovely weather, and very warm...the thermometer in the car indicated a very summery 22 degrees centigrade! I arrived at the Ashcott Corner car park at 3.15pm and walked out along the path. I could hear at least two Bitterns booming, but they kept themselves hidden in the reedbeds.
Tristan just would not settle whilst we were out, so it made it very hard to do much in the way of birding. I did however manage to get a good view of the two first-winter Long-billed Dowitchers as they fed on the partially drained lagoon. Also present a Ruff, a few Redshank and a small flock of Black-tailed Godwits. A single Great White Egret was also present for a while before flying off north.
Because the little man wouldn't stop crying I had to cut short our visit and get him back to the car, and to make things rather frustrating he was quiet as a mouse once he was strapped in to his car seat...never mind, at least I got to see the dowitchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment