Sunday 4 March 2012

Radipole RSPB & Lodmoor RSPB - Sun 4 Mar

I met up with Steve, Steve, John and Andy at Radipole RSPB at 8.30am and the rain was still hammering down. Despite the weather we set out and soon located the long-staying Hooded Merganser, though despite it coming pretty close for a while I could not get a photo of it!
We then walked out to the hide, hearing several Cetti's Warblers and Water Rails along the way, but not anything that out of the ordinary. Arriving at the hide we finally saw a Cetti's Warbler flitting around in reeds in front of us and two Chiffchaffs were sheltering from the rain in a bramble patch. As we walked back to the car I saw a Water Rail and it rushed in to the undergrowth.
As we were already pretty wet we decided to go on to Lodmoor RSPB and struck it lucky when we got out of the cars and a Bittern flew over! A walk around the reserve produced few birds of note, though we did see about half a dozen Black-tailed Godwits. A look out over Weymouth Harbour did yield a couple of new birds for the day, with a Great Northern Diver being seen and a single Razerbill. Completing the circular walk I called it a day as I had promised to be back in time for lunch, and to round the morning off a female Marsh Harrier drifted over the reed beds. Despite being soaked to the skin I had an enjoyable morning out and it was great to catch up with my mates. Of course, as soon as I got home the sun started shining!

No comments:

Post a Comment