Thursday 1 March 2012

Cary Moor - Wed 29 Feb

An afternoon out with Tristan and we headed up to Castle Cary and took a walk along the Macmillan Way towards Cary Moor. I was hoping to find some Tree Sparrows, this site has been pretty reliable for them over the years. I reached the set-aside field and soon located a fair sized flock of birds. Scanning through the numerous Yellowhammers, Reed Buntings and Chaffinches I eventually located a smashing Tree Sparrow. Despite a continued search I could not find any more, but I suppose one is all you need for your Year List.
On the small pool a pair of Little Grebes were present along with a Little Egret. As I returned to the car a flock of Redwings flitted through the trees in front of me and a female Kestrel was perched on a telegraph wire staring intently into the field below it.
I had planned on driving on to Torr Reservoir but Tristan had other plans and started getting grumpy, so we headed back home instead so that he could have a feed!
UK list for 2012 now at 133 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment