Sunday 26 February 2012

Abbotsbury - Sun 26 Feb

As it was such a lovely afternoon I took Tristan down to the coast for a few hours and we drove down to Abbotsbury. I forked out a small fortune to park in the beach car park and then walked east along Chesil Beach for about a mile, which on the shingle and carrying a baby and optics was very hard going! Reaching the edge of the Swannery I had a rest and scanned The Fleet. In the afternoon sun it really was a lovely view.
A female Marsh Harrier was gliding over the reedbed which was a pleasant surprise. Scanning over the water I picked out a couple of Scaup associating with a small flock of Tufted Ducks.
I then returned to the car, and as I did so a Fulmar drifted over my head heading towards Portland. I then spent about fifteen minutes seawatching in the hope of picking out the three Velvet Scoters that had been about for a couple of weeks (and had been reported earlier in the day off the beach). But despite all my efforts I could not locate them and a Great Crested Grebe was the only bird out on the water. It was now 3.00pm and so I had to call it a day and get Tristan back home to mummy for his afternoon feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment