Saturday 16 April 2011

Longham Lakes & The New Forest - Sat 16 Apr

After a morning of chores, Ellie did our weekly shop whilst I continued work on our new patio, we had lunch and then decided to head off to the New Forest and see if we could locate the Black Stork that had been around for a week or so, albeit extremely elusive and almost impossible to locate!!
On the drive down we made a slight detour and stopped off at Longham Lakes near Ferndown. Ellie waited in the car whilst I walked out to look over the two lakes. Four Common Sandpipers were somewhat jumpy, whizzing across the water as I walked past. A couple of Sedge Warblers were singing from some very small patches of reeds, and I picked up my first Garden Warbler of the year. However, the birds I was after were on the larger lake and meant a brisk stroll to a vantage point where I could scan the water. Before long I had found the Little Gull and within a minute the pair of Garganey...so job down and back to the car!
We carried on down to the New Forest and parked up near Ocknell Plain hoping that the Black Stork would roost in the same area as it had the previous night. We gave it over two hours, but there was no sign of the bird. We did, however, see at least four Cuckoos and a couple of Curlew. The gorse and heather held a few Stonechats and Wheatears. At just gone 6.00pm we decided to call it a day as we had a long drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment