Sunday 17 April 2011

Tealham Moor & Ham Wall RSPB - Sun 17 Apr

After lunch Ellie and I drove up to Tealham Moor so that I could try and pick up Yellow Wagtail for the year list. After a wait of some ten minutes I got lucky and picked out a cracking male bird, though I had heard at least one bird calling as soon as I got out of the car. Also present, what appeared to be a male Blue-headed Wagtail, though the heat haze was such that I could not rule out it being a Channel Wagtail, there was one here last year. With nothing else about at Tealham, we drove on to Ham Wall.
Luckily there was a space in the car park at Ashcott Corner and we walked out on to Ham Wall. It was now early afternoon and very hot, and as a result there were not as many birds around as I would have liked. However, we did manage to see a Cuckoo for the third time in as many days, and a single Hobby was also seen. Hardly surprisingly a Bittern was heard booming, but we failed to see any.
Several butterflies were about and we saw a couple of Holly Blues and several Brimstone, Orange Tips, Peacocks, plus a couple of Speckled Woods and a Red Admiral.
So all in all a pretty good afternoon out and about.
UK list for 2011 now at 210 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment