Friday 8 April 2011

Meare Heath NR and Ham Wall RSPB - Fri 8 Apr

I parked at Ashcott Corner and walked out to Noah's Lake, but there were some rather chatty people in the hide so I did not linger. It was now extremely warm and as a result there were fairly few birds about, although several Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, and Blackcaps were in full song. A Peregrine was soaring very high in the sky, and on the drained lagoon a single Little Ringed Plover was present alongside several Black-tailed Godwits.
I then walked over to Ham Wall and managed to track down a Common Whitethroat as it sang from the undergrowth. At least five Bitterns were booming, and I managed to see one very briefly as it withdrew deeper in to the reedbeds. Several butterflies were on the wing, with Peacock, Brimstone and Orange Tips being especially numerous, I also saw my first Red Admiral of the year.
I had to be pick Ellie up from work at 3.45pm so it was soon time to head home after a nice day out in the sunshine, but a disappointing return in the way of birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment