Sunday 24 April 2011

Sutton Bingham - Sun 24 Apr

After dropping Ellie off at church for the Easter Sunday service, I popped up to the reservior for a little over an hour. West Pool and the main reservoir from the northern causeway produced nothing so I drove down to the southern end and took a long walk round the back of the reservoir (having checked in with the warden first!).
Before long I had picked up a year tick in the form of a singing Lesser Whitethroat. Several other warbler species were also in full song, with a Reed Warbler showing briefly in some willows. As I neared the dead tree opposite the hide, four Common Sandpipers took flight from the water's edge. A male Reed Bunting was showing well and another was heard in song. The pair of Mandarin were also seen briefly in flight.
As the morning progressed and temperatures started to rise several butterflies started flitting about and I added two new species to my 2011 butterfly year list in the form of Green-veined White and Painted Lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment