Monday 4 April 2011

Portland - Mon 4 Apr

After a good start to the day I headed west from Wareham and drove down to Portland, parking at the Bird Observatory. After collecting some books I had ordered I walked up the road and got on to a Short-toed Lark, which had been found yesterday. Yet another quality bird! I then walked down to the Bill but conditions were not suited to seawatching, though I did see my first Rock Pipits of the year!
Returning to the Obs via the Hut Fields I saw nothing of note, just a few Chiffchaffs and Stonechats. So I drove north to Weston and took a walk down Barleycrates Lane. This was another wasted trip, with no birds of note at all. Though this was not that surprising due to the lovely blue skies all morning.
So it was a real case of quality rather than quantity today as I headed on home at 3.00pm after a good day out and about.
UK list for 2011 now at 187 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment