Monday 11 April 2011

Stanpit Marsh & Highcliffe - Mon 11 Apr

I had the day booked off work so offered to take Ellie down to Highcliffe so that she could get her hair cut and whilst there we took the opportunity to visit her parents. We decided on a walk at Stanpit before meeting her folks for lunch but after a hundred metres the chill wind drove Ellie back to the car, so I continued on alone! It was hardly worth the effort though as all I saw for my efforts were a couple of Curlew and a couple of dozen Black-tailed Godwits on the mud. A fair number of Sand Martins were present, but the only other migrant I saw was a single Common Whitethroat. As I returned to the car, a Cetti's Warbler was calling.
We then drove along to Mudeford and had a very pleasant lunch with the in-laws before we set off to Highcliffe. I dropped Ellie off at the hairdresser and went and parked the car in the cliff top car park for an hour. I had a good wander about, but saw nothing out of the ordinary, though there were loads of Greenfinches about and a few Linnets.

Sea-watching produced nothing apart from a couple of Cormorants and the usual gulls, an extremely distant black blob looked interesting, but was probably just an auk! So not a lot on note today, but then again, it was not a birding day I suppose, especially as I ended up in a garden centre for what seemed like most of the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment