Sunday 10 April 2011

Sutton Bingham - Sun 10 Apr

An hour long visit whilst Ellie was at church was spent at the southern end of the reservoir due to Model Boats on West Pool, and a large number of sailors and canoeists on the main reservoir meaning there were no birds elsewhere on the water. I parked by the hide and walked south, a Blackcap was singing near the southern causeway and five Swallows were whizzing around overhead. As I entered the trees I was surprised as a Tawny Owl flew out in front of me and away through the vegetation! Whilst I had heard Tawny Owls at the reservoir, this was the first time I had actually seen one here. The first Willow Warbler of the spring was in reluctant song whilst several Chiffchaffs were in full voice. A probable Sedge Warbler was starting to spill out a few notes, but I could not locate it. Two male Reed Buntings were also present. I also saw a few Speckled Wood butterflies on the wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment