Wednesday 22 February 2012

Chilton Moor - Wed 22 Feb

I had big plans for this afternoon and a visit to the Dorset coast with Tristan was planned, until the rain descended and as a result I took the boy up on to the Somerset Levels for a couple of hours whilst Ellie had a rest.
We drove up to Chilton Moor, just to the north of the village of Chilton Polden. I had not visited this part of the levels before, but found it easy enough by following instructions on the SOS website. I was hoping that one or more of the wintering Short-eared Owls would put in an appearance, but the drizzle did not fill me with confidence. I parked the car and got Tristan kitted up and as we were getting ready I was surprised to see a Short-eared Owl fly in and land in the small field right next to the car...result.
As the rain closed in it was pretty obvious that I was not going to see much else this afternoon, though there were several hundred Lapwings in the various fields. So we headed back towards home, making a quick stop at Greylake RSPB reserve...but saw nothing worth reporting!

No comments:

Post a Comment