Thursday 2 February 2012

Hilfield LNR - Wed 1 Feb

As it was such a lovely afternoon, if somewhat cold, I decided to try and get a bit of birding in before doing the weekly grocery shop and popped to the local nature reserve of Hilfield about ten miles south of Sherborne. I was feeling confident that I may get some good birds when a Red-legged Partridge crossed the road in front of me as I neared the car park. However, as I got out of the car I was greeted by the sound of gunfire and it seemed that everyone in that part of Dorset was out shooting today. I'm against the shooting of any animal for sport and the constant ringing of shotguns going off somewhat ruined the afternoon and blew any chances of seeing much in the way of birds.
That being said I did see three Goldcrests flitting through the vegetation feeding constantly, the high ground was surprisingly covered with a thin layer of snow in parts, making it hard for these tiny birds to fine anything much to eat.
A flock of twenty Lapwings flew over heading north in to Somerset, probably frightened by noise, and amongst several Woodpigeons wheeling overhead I picked out a few Stock Doves. Other aerial activity came in the form of two pairs of Ravens.
Due to the "sporting" activity of the Country Folk I cut short my trip and headed back to Yeovil and a visit to the supermarket!

No comments:

Post a Comment