Sunday 5 February 2012

Sutton Bingham - Sun 5 Feb

Having had some lunch Ellie and I were deciding what chores we needed to do this afternoon, then the phone rang and it John Rickards, one of the few Sutton Bingham regular birders. He was calling to let me know that two Great White Egrets had just flown in and were at the southern end of the reservoir. This was a bird I had never seen at Sutton Bingham and had missed the previous one by a matter of minutes, so I quickly got Tristan ready and we zoomed back to the reservoir. Luck was with me this time and before long I was watching two adult winter-plumaged Great White Egrets.
 
 
I also recounted this morning's Gadwall and got up to twenty-nine birds. There were also eight Tufted Ducks and a female Pochard, so a few birds had arrived over the course of the day.
Before long John turned up and so did Barry Matthews, another of the SBR regulars. John had also seen a wader earlier in the day and identified it as a Knot, a short walk failed to locate the bird but after bidding farewell to the lads I stopped off at West Pool and relocated the Knot with four Snipe. Get this for a cracking photo:
It was now 3.30pm and I had been given another tip-off with regard to birds, a text message from my mate Andy Grinter had informed me of a couple of decent warblers near Chard, so Tristan and I headed off to our next stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment