Sunday 5 February 2012

Sutton Bingham - Sun 5 Feb

Just an hour long visit this morning whilst Ellie was at church and what a difference a day makes, most of the ice had gone from the main reservoir and from the northern causeway I could see only eighteen Wigeon and a pair of Shoveler. There were nowhere near as many birds as I had counted yesterday afternoon.
So I drove down to the hide and realised that in fact there were probably more wildfowl present today than had been at the reservoir yesterday as I was met by a host of birds feeding on the water's edge and swimming around.
Because the birds were all spread out it made it harder to get accurate counts, but there were approximately three hundred Teal and a similar number of Wigeon. A further three Shoveler were seen and a dozen Gadwall were also present. However, Tufted Duck numbers had dropped to six individuals. It was good to see so many Gadwall (I've only ever seen single brids or pairs at the reservoir in the past), and I even managed to get a few record shots of some of the ducks present today.


A small flock of twenty-six Lapwing flew north and before I knew it the hour was up and Tristan and I had to go and collect mummy from church!

No comments:

Post a Comment