Saturday 4 February 2012

Sutton Bingham - Sat 4 Feb

Despite some pretty heavy and steady snow I had promised to look after Tristan whilst Ellie went shopping this afternoon and because of the weather I just popped up to Sutton Bingham. When I arrived I couldn't believe it, West Pool was completely frozen over and most of the main reservoir was covered in ice also, leaving just a few open patches of water open for the birds.
As I parked up on the northern causeway a small flock of seven Lawings flew over, as did a single Snipe. A further two Snipe were feeding on a small patch of mud on the edge of West Pool and on the main reservoir there was a flock of 284 Wigeon, a massive jump in numbers from my last visit. A couple of Gadwall and half a dozen Teal were present and Tufted Duck numbers had risen to twenty-five birds. As I was about to head down to the southern end of the reservoir a couple of Linnets flew over calling, my first of the year.
With the whole of the southern part of the reservoir covered in ice it was perhaps unsurprising that a small area of water halfway between the hide and the Canoe Club was packed with birds. I counted 278 Teal, but some were out of site behind vegetation, so there were probably a few more. Six Wigeon were seen and another Snipe was present.
As it was too cold to take Tristan out for a walk I headed off after a pretty productive trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment